At We Sell Mats™, we’re not just dedicated to creating safe, reliable, long-lasting gymnastics mats for gymnasts, tumblers, and cheerleaders of all ages and disciplines. We’re also committed to cheering on your jumping Jack or Jill by spotlighting their accomplishments this and every National Gymnastics Day.
What is National Gymnastics Day?
On the third Saturday of each September, the nation’s gymnasts come together to celebrate National Gymnastics Day. What began as a special day to bring awareness to the highly competitive sport now serves as a way for gymnasts, coaches, fans, and supporters to celebrate the sport, connecting on a national platform and sharing photos with the hashtag #NGD2021.
Benefits of Gymnastics
From simple tumbling and balancing acts practiced by beginner gymnasts to the show-stopping skills by the world’s most prestigious athletes, the social skills, work ethic, self-esteem, physical strength, and coordination gained from the sport of gymnastics are invaluable skill sets and assets one can use in many different aspects of their life, long after their gymnastics days are over. Here are some of the key benefits to joining gymnastics:
- Improved flexibility, muscle strength and endurance, bone health
- Regular exercise improves self-esteem and self-efficacy
- Class setting promotes social skills and friendships
- Gymnastics sharpens sensory, reflex, and motor skills, improving stamina, agility, intuition, balance, coordination, control, language, and the senses.
- Gymnastics repetitive movements and both physical and mental preparation help athletes build a strong personal work ethic.
- Gymnastics can help with weight loss.
Fun Facts About Gymnastics
- Although gymnastics was officially recognized as an Olympic sport in 1881, women gymnasts did not compete until 1928.
- Men’s and women’s gymnastics routines are different.
- The gymnastics leotard originated in France.
- The men’s gymnastics pommel horse prop was used to teach Grecian soldiers how to mount and dismount a horse.
- Most famous gymnasts began their gymnastics careers as early as two years old.
- As of 2017, nearly five million U.S. children participated in gymnastics.
How to Get Involved with Gymnastics
If you are interested in introducing your child to the exciting, highly beneficial world of gymnastics, we recommend finding a local gymnastics studio or exposing them to simple routines at home with safe and fun Foam Balance Beams, personal Tumbling Mats, and Skill Shapes and Trainers. These gymnastics mats make practicing from anywhere easy and hold their benefit and value for your gymnast as they grow into new levels and skills.
Get Featured on the We Sell Mats™ Story!
Whether your child is just starting out in the world of gymnastics or has a few years under their belt already, We Sell Mats™ wants to feature them this National Gymnastics Day on the We Sell Mats™ story! All you need to do is submit a photo of your gymnast posing or performing using the hashtag #wesellmats and they will be featured in our National Gymnastics Day story!
Get Healthy and Happy in Comfort with We Sell Mats™
From interlocking floor tiles designed to elevate your home gym space to gymnastics and exercise mats for a variety of other sports and physical fitness regimens, We Sell Mats™ makes it easy to get or stay in shape from anywhere with the forgiving floor mats you need to move your body without unnecessary pain. Shop our entire collection of commercial mats and mats for home and office today to instantly make any space a more comfortable place to work, play, or exercise.